SONEET R. KAPILA, CPA*, CIRA, CFE
Soneet R. Kapila is the founding partner of Kapila & Company. After several years experience with KPMG Peat Marwick and a regional accounting firm, he formed Kapila & Company, which has concentrated its efforts for many years in the areas of consulting and representing bankruptcy debtors, creditor bodies and trustees.
Mr. Kapila’s practice is concentrated in the area of creditors’ rights, bankruptcy, and financial transactions litigation. He represents both creditors and debtors in and out of bankruptcy court, and has considerable expertise representing secured creditors. He also regularly advises clients about the insolvency implications involved in business transactions.
Mr. Kapila has served as Bankruptcy Trustee, Examiner, Corporate Monitor (S.E.C. appointment) and State Court Receiver in numerous matters in the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida. He has advised and represented debtors and creditors' committees in formulating, analyzing and negotiating plans of reorganization. Mr. Kapila is a recognized expert in fraudulent conveyance and insolvency issues. He has provided expert testimony and extensive litigation support services to law firms involving complex insolvency issues. Mr. Kapila is a sitting trustee on the panel of U.S. Bankruptcy Trustees in the Southern District of Florida.
Mr. Kapila has conducted numerous forensic and fraud investigations, and has worked in conjunction with the S.E.C., the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the United States Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Kapila has served both as a consultant and expert witness for litigation matters in State and Federal Courts. He has worked on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in commercial lawsuits regarding bankruptcy/creditor’s rights issues, construction damages, securities fraud, patent infringement, lost profits and business valuations.
Mr. Kapila has also provided a wide variety of tax services to clients throughout his career. Consulting with and offering tax planning strategies and ideas to bankruptcy trustees is also a significant part of Mr. Kapila’s responsibilities.
Mr. Kapila has spoken to various groups including the New York Law School, St. Thomas University Law School, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, Receiver’s Forum, Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, National Business Institute, and the American Bankruptcy Institute on topics related to insolvency, under-performing businesses and insolvency taxation.
* Regulated by the State of Florida.
• Bronze Award/Medal – 3rd highest score, 1996 examination
of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring
• Published article - Hidden Resources in a Small Business Education/Qualifications
• Masters of Business Administration, Cranfield School of Management Studies, England
• Certified Public Accountant – Florida
• Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor
• Certified Fraud Examiner
• Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
• Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
• Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
• American Bankruptcy Institute
• National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
Volunteer Activities (Past and Present)
• Chairman (past-President) of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
• Lecturer to various groups on insolvency and litigation related topics, including insolvency taxation
• Member of the Grievances Committee of The Florida Bar
• Member of the American Arbitration Association's Panel of Arbitrators
• Member of the Board of Directors, Hialeah-Miami Springs-Northwest
Dade Chamber of Commerce
• Chairman - Litigation Support Services Committee of the National
Training and Experience Sharing Program
of The American Group of CPA
• Practice Review Committee – FICPA
• Bankers Cooperation Committee – Connecticut Society of